This Projekt was a task given during my Industrial Design study at ZHdK (Zürcher Hochschule der Künste). We received a existing garden tool and the exercise was to do a updated design which would be suited for the growing population of elderly people. We had four weeks in total to finish the redesign. The first week was used to do several tests with the product, mostly using the ageman suit (ageman.de) which simulates the motion possibilities of customer around 70 years old. These tests served as our customer survey, as we did not have the time to do a real survey with hundreds of people.
During the second week we defined what does not work right with the existing product and what needed to be different in the new design. I found six major problems which I wanted to change:
1. Simplify the valve to one large, ripped and colored one.
2. Reduce the size of the bottle to 1.5l so it can be held better and isn't has heavy.
3. Make an alternative opening on the side of the bottle for easy filling and less mess. Integrate the overpressure valve directly in the cap.
4. Change the shape of the pump grip, so its more comfortable for every user.
5. Optimize the entire design of the bottle and make the parts harmonize with each other. Update the colors and the instruction printed on the bottle. Make a transparent part on the bottle so the user can see the content.
The main bottle was made out of cibatool and all the others were 3d printed.